Vancouver prices not cooling

Vancouver Prices are Not Cooling

Steve Saretsky -

Vancouver Prices Will Keep Rising Despite Misleading Report

So a recent article which was just published by the CMHC (The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation) stated that the Vancouver prices are set to Cool.  Then various news channels echoed that same message, with headlines like  “Canada’s real estate boom will come to an end in 2016.”

This instantly piqued my interest so I delved into it a little further. Now it should be stated that nobody can truly predict real estate prices, not myself, not you, not even the CMHC despite what they may think.

So as I’m reading these headlines, i’m thinking, wow they’re saying the boom is coming to an end. The day of reckoning is here. The madness is over.

Brace yourself. It’s not. Vancouver house prices are actually set to rise in 2016 & 2017.

I’m here to set the record straight. The articles headlines are very misleading and many people will simply just read the headlines and move on.

What the article actually states is that prices will continue to rise. The CMHC Report says that  home prices are projected to “rise 3% next year. By 2017, that growth is expected to dip to 2.1%.” Although that’s still an overall increase of 5.1% over the next 2 years.

It’s very important to read between the lines. This is not really a cool down, or a dip. It’s a continued upward trend. What the report is actually saying is that prices are going to continue to rise but at a much slower rate than what we are currently experiencing.

It will still very much be an active and hot market in the next two years. Prices will continue to rise, and the number of total sales will only decrease slightly. This means it will continue to be a strong sellers market.

Overall I believe CMHC is fairly accurate in their report.  However stating that boom is coming to an end is a little misleading. Prices are and will continue to rise into 2017. Currently we have too little inventory and too many buyers which will cause that to overflow into next year and 2017. For buyers this means it won’t get much easier or any cheaper, for sellers if you’re looking to hold on just a little while longer it appears even more profit can be squeezed out.


Join the Monday Newsletter

Every Monday morning you'll receive a short and entertaining round-up of news on the Vancouver & Canadian Real Estate markets.

"*" indicates required fields

The Canadian Economy

Steve Saretsky -

Avoiding These 5 Mistakes When Selling and Save Thousands Selling your Vancouver condo can be a stressful decision. In a quick changing market, deciding when to sell and for how much can cost you tens of thousands of dollars or more. Along with timing, how do you select the right...

Steve Saretsky -

4 Steps To Fix The Vancouver Real Estate Industry On June 29 Chirsty Clark came down hard on the Vancouver real estate industry. Declaring the end of self regulation and promising provincial oversight on the RECBC (Real estate council of BC). The move shocked very few in the industry. With...

Steve Saretsky -

Top 5 Biggest Mistakes When Buying a Condo Are you thinking about buying a condo in Vancouver? No doubt it’s an exciting time, but many buyers let their emotions get the best of them and make some big mistakes in the process. Here’s the top 5 biggest mistakes when buying...

Steve Saretsky -

Empty Home Tax Provides Minimal Relief to Housing Crisis Big news today in Vancouver as Mayor Gregor Robertson announced with or without the support of the provincial government, Vancouver will impose an empty home tax. Gregor Robertson has plenty of critics but kudos to him for stepping up and being...

Steve Saretsky -

Step by Step Process to Getting Vancouver Real Estate License Are you considering becoming a Realtor? Do you want to know how to get your Vancouver real estate license? If so then I’m going to tell you how to do that in this post. I legitimately have a friend or...

Get the Saretsky Report to your email every month

The Saretsky Report. December 2022