Vancouver condo

The Vancouver Housing Myths

Steve Saretsky -

Population Growth, Limited Supply, and a Strong Economy?

As of today Greater Vancouver real estate prices have soared by 39% since January 2015. We’ve been told the astronomical price growth has been a direct result of population growth, limited supply and a strong economy. New findings show otherwise.

Population Growth

Population growth in Vancouver has been average at best. Metro Vancouver ranked 11th of all Canadian cities for population growth from 2011-2016. The population grew by 6.5% down significantly from the 9.3% growth from 2006-2011.

population growth Vancouver
Population growth in Vancouver ranks 11th of all Canadian cities.

Meanwhile, as prices continue to surge, research from U-Haul suggests people are leaving Vancouver. Each year, U-Haul studies how many of its trucks leave various communities on one-way trips versus how many trips are arriving.

According to the U-Haul data, Vancouver is a “net-loss city,” with 52.9 per cent of one-way U-Haul trucks leaving the city versus 47.1 per cent arriving.

“While migration trends do not correlate directly to population or economic growth, U-Haul growth data is an effective gauge of how well (communities) are attracting and maintaining residents.”


As i’ve talked about before, supply tends to be a symptom of the underlying issue and a shortage tends be more a result of unsustainable levels of demand. Of course, having over 25,000 empty homes in Vancouver doesn’t help. That’s a 15% jump from the last census in 2011.

Adding to that, Richmond’s empty home problem continues to rear it’s ugly head. The Ghost City saw a 25% increase of unoccupied or temporarily occupied units.

Solving these issues alone would free up an excess of supply. Instead, we are attempting to build our way out, with record housing construction under way in 2015 and 2016. Much of that supply will likely be scooped up and flipped for higher prices before it even completes.


It’s the Economy Stupid. Yet wages are virtually stagnant. Could the economy really be responsible for this kind of surge in real estate prices?

Vancouver real estate
Vancouver real estate prices soar

Like this post? Get my best work sent to your inbox HERE. 


Join the Monday Newsletter

Every Monday morning you'll receive a short and entertaining round-up of news on the Vancouver & Canadian Real Estate markets.

"*" indicates required fields

The Canadian Economy

Steve Saretsky -

Happy Monday Morning! The Bank of Canada moved to the sidelines once again, appeasing premiers in BC & Ontario who publicly pleaded with the BoC last week. It’s no secret these two provinces have the most to lose, their coffers largely built on a highly levered housing market, but we’ll...

Steve Saretsky -

Happy Monday Morning! A few weeks ago we summarized the cabinet shuffle, arguing the replacement of both the housing minister and immigration minister was simply rearring deck chairs on the Titanic. When new immigration minister Marc Miller was repeatedly questioned about rampant immigration putting strains on infrastructure and housing, he noted,...

Steve Saretsky -

Happy Monday morning! The Federal government is ramping up the noise amidst dismal polling numbers and a federal election only two years away. We had a cabinet shuffle just a few weeks ago, which included the immigration minister becoming the new housing minister. This week they arranged a housing retreat...

Steve Saretsky -

Happy Monday Morning! Headline CPI inflation surprised to the upside this past week, pushing back up to 3.3% and well above market expectations of 3%. However, those who have been following along here will know the importance of base effects. When headline inflation fell to 2.8% last month we were...

Steve Saretsky -

Happy Monday Morning! It’s been a few weeks now since the Trudeau government shuffled his cabinet ministers, naming both a new housing minsiter and a new immigration minister. However, as we discussed a few weeks ago in my piece, Same Faces, Different Places, nothing has fundamentally changed. These are the same...

Get the Saretsky Report to your email every month

The Saretsky Report. December 2022